Sunday 31 March 2013

High heels/shoes in the desert?

Finding it somewhat tricky at the moment to pin point which direction I want to go in for my Acconaians, but there are banks of inspirational things scattered in both the middle east and africa to still draw from. I'm just worried my doodles are looking too messy.

So for yesterday, I looked at mostly heels. I know I want my fantasy characters of the desert to be wearing unusual footwear, as apposed to sandals. I chose to incorporate a high heel for both genders to help keep feet off the scorching sand. I was told to make and break the rules of my own fantasy world so thats exactly what I want to do!

So most sandals worn in the desert will look like this:

But I really don't want to have such basic footwear on my characters, so I want to build on this!
I begun to research high heels and discovered they were originally used by men as a sign of power, masculinity and status (after evolving from their original purpose of riding (horses) shoes), which helped solidify my personal aim of trying to make sure male and females are the same in wear in the fantasy world being designed. 

Various examples of unique heels, as well as a quick comparison in leg shape:


more...:



No doubt I'll be incorporating these moodboards into my next sketches.

2 comments:

  1. I like the whole twist on the footware for your desert people it could make for some interesting designs . I have a question about whether the practical nature will be included in your concepting? Obviously the problem with normal high heels would be they'd sink into the sand really easily because of the small surface area, the same reason camels and things have larger feet to spread the load of their weight and stop them sinking. Would it make sense to include that sort of knowledge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you wear high heels, the length of the muscle between your heel and your knee is shortened. While wearing high heels, pulling that muscle isn't a problem. However, if you are running on flat feet, it is much easier to pull or strain your calves.
    Women's Shoes

    ReplyDelete