Friday 29 March 2013

Moving on to my desert & exploring the Tuareg

Now that I'm mostly confident with my Marisea characters (I'll need to tweak their clothes towards the final illustration) I'm going to move on towards my dessert town, Acconagros.

Named after two existing deserts, Accona and Monegros, the more I started looking at traditional deserts, the more I started to realize I really wanted the orange/blue palette and water, so I started looking at Oases in the desert:


I will post a finalized colour palette post in the future after I've done the Forest too, but I'm certain I'll be using the muted blue orange and yellows seen in the picture above in order to create a warm welcoming environment as apposed to usual harsh imagery and stereotype found in video games.

That's not to say the environment will be tricky. Just as humans in Marisea have to wear goggles to sea underwater and wear fabrics around their ankle to work as flippers underwater, the Acconaians will also have to be designed with the deserts hardships in mind. For now, simple sketches I've drawn to figure out a direction for the Acconians. As with the Marisea, I'm not focussing on Angelo-faith incorporation yet, first must figure out Gaian-faith design elements.

Sketches:




Again I started to struggle with not looking up existing desert tribes, which I should have learnt my mistake from the first time. I started exploring cultures of desert tribes. I was especially interested in the Tuareg people who have a lively and rare culture, with an estimated 1.2 million population. What mostly attracted me to them was their clothes, and faith. They are - like most indigenous tribes - animism, with a mix of Islamic beliefs. And they've earned the nickname the "Blue People" due to their indigo coloured clothes staining their skin. I'd love to incorporate that into my designs.


In any case, I'll begin sketching again with a new insight into this fascinating culture, and hopefully incorporate their designs better into my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment