Saturday 29 December 2012

Symbols in culture and history


"A symbol is a sign which has further layers of meaning. In other words, a symbol means more than it literally says." - http://web.mst.edu/~gdoty/classes/concepts-practices/def-symbols.html

As mentioned in the quote above, symbolism is what we use to bring across subtle messages, stories, meaning, etc, which can evoke thought or emotion. Through out history, mankind has been using this to communicate with one another in different ways:



There are loads of symbols and connotations I've not been able to fit into my moodboard, but I've arranged some of my personal inspirations, such as religion or comics. I want this to implement these symbols throughout history and culture into different designs. Use my angels/demons as a base because they're already well established figures in my world. Use Michael, symbol of righteousness, justice and war.

No comments:

Post a Comment