Saturday 16 February 2013

Personal Development: Evolving/Developing my Style

It is no secret that my art is often influenced by anime style art. I grew up with the style, trying to mimic my favourite manga books characters, and failing many times before finally succeeding to understand the proportions and style that is, anime.

My first ever digital drawing. Don't laugh.

The anime style has become very common, often badly done, and frowned upon as an art style in recent years, but I'm not ashamed of where I began. In-fact, I try my best to implement my anime style into my illustrations.

Digital painting practice. Combining life drawing with anime techniques I've learnt over the years.

Personally, I find that once you achieve the anime style, it can no longer develop your skills, or challenge you. Therefore, I enjoy learning new art techniques, skills, and being able to put my own style into it to create something new and not too animesque.

My twist on anime art. It's a never ending learning experience.

The reason I explain this is for Personal Development. So I saw this photo by http://www.vincentlambphotography.co.uk/ and immediately wanted to recreate it into an anime style. I asked permission of the photographer, and begun drawing.


I had to edit things into animesque without too much exaggeration, had to edit the males torso, the sitting females arm, shoulders, eyes, as well as simplify everything. But the lineart as drawn was drawn with special attention given to the photo, and I hope to continue to blend my style with that of realism.



I'll paint it in the future using the same lights seen in the photo above, but with a brighter colour palette.

The reason I've posted this is to document my advancements as an artist, and the long road I still have to go. :)

Feedback from Week 23 - 22/02/13 academic tutor meeting: Robin and Mus: Look at the masters to further as an artist, practice lighting for Drogo picture looks flat, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment